Home Post-Purchase Services
Cabrillo’s NeighborWorks® HomeOwnership Center provides post-purchase educational workshops and individual financial counseling.
Studies prove that post-purchase education is essential, especially for those who are purchasing for the first time. Our post-purchase workshops provide general information about the responsibilities of homeownership so participants will have the knowledge to maintain their homes and finances. This type of education is the final part of the continuum of homebuyer support offered before, during and after the purchase process
Post-purchase workshops are 1.5 hours long and feature a topic overview followed by a presentation from an expert in a related field. Topics include:
- Responsibilities as a homeowner, including property and supplemental taxes
- Avoiding predatory lending scams, including identity theft and credit card fraud
- Maintaining and repairing a home, including seasonal upkeep and energy conservation
- Improving budgeting skills, maintaining a good credit file, stopping unwanted solicitations and keeping good records
- Life and disability insurance basics, being a good neighbor and an asset to the community
- What to do if you find yourself in trouble with your mortgage, how your mortgage lender works and what to look for if you want to refinance
The primary goal of the HOC is to help ensure that the homeownership experience is a successful one. This may include providing the homeowner with additional information on record keeping, budgeting, home maintenance and repairs, what to do if one falls behind on mortgage payments and much more. In some cases, staff helps families evaluate their budget and assists the family with a spending plan.
Post-Purchase Counseling FAQs
Do you have questions about Post-Purchase Counseling? Please Visit our FAQ page with a dedicated section to answer your important questions. Learn More